Friday, July 27, 2018

Headless buck

Shot placement high just in front of the left hip existing low out the bottom of the right lung.
My client waited a few hours before starting to track. Easy blood trail through the woods and the blood trail vanished in the short freshly cut clover field. To the north is big timber and to the West is two tall grass fields with fence rows and if the deer turned south is a small woods before crossing the road into a standing cornfield. Last blood showing the buck heading north into the timber. Sypris is following the known trail like a train and once into the clover she starts circling. Educational part. "Fresh cut clover realeases chlorophyll the absorbs scent so dogs can struggle". As she is circling putting the scent puzzle together I start looking at the edge of the timber to see if I can cut the blood trail. My client already looked the edge however I needed to double check. At this point Sypris is dragging the lead as I'm also searching. I look up seeing her heading east to the fence row that is about 150 yards away. As she is tracking she starts indicating blood drops so we're all happy that she is back on track. As we are heading west an older man is driving a golf cart on the edge of the field so I asked my client confirming we have permission!!!!! We did..
 So we make it across the field and she starts air scenting in the tall weeds that the farmer wasn't able to plant clover. She finds this headless buck that has been chewed on by coyotes. My client says that can't be my deer! I didn't inspect it as I agreed because it was nasty. (I flipped the deer over to the better side for picture taking)
The old gent comes back by and we tried taking to him however he has a speech impediment and we couldn't understand him. So my client is trying to understand what the guy is saying I'm trying to keep Sypris away from this nasty headless deer. I then decide to inspect the buck. I then see the broadhead hole so I'm able to confirm that it is my clients buck.
So we are starting to think this old gent has the head so I explain how it's illegal to take someone else deer and I will call the DNR.
The gent still isn't understanding as he we learn he is deaf!
So he starts waving is hand as he suggests my client goes for a ride with him on his golf cart and they ride to the houses we could see to the west.
One of the house was owned by a bow hunter that hunts the woods to the north and he had the head and claims the buck had been there for several days. Not true because I couldn't see any maggots and from the time of the shot to Sypris finding it was only 16 hours has past.
  With no incident the hunter gave my client the buck head and the DNR wasn't called!
 That's the story about the headless buck.

No comments:

Post a Comment