Friday, July 27, 2018

Heartbreaker.

Tomorrow story becomes tonight story!!

The morning starts off heading to a track that I know is single lung shot with a bow!! I called these situations A 1 long Rodeo!!
This is a term I came up with when I had my first dog scout and we would jump these deer and for the remainder of the day trying to catch up to them. Back then I figured one lung was cut means the deer would die! As the years went on and deer we failed to recover stared showing back up on my clients trail cameras I learned one lung deer 9 out of 10 times survive. 

So after the morning of tracking this 1 lung rideo proving to the hunter the buck isn't dead, well at least not yet.  I received a call from a dad saying I would like to utilize your services as I follow your page and I want to do EVERYTHING CORRECTLY AND EVERYTHING I CAN TO RECOVER MY SONS BUCK!!
 So of course I'm happy to hear they didn't push the gut shot buck and better yet didn't EVEN TRACK IT!!
I'm supper excited because I know Sypris is going to find it and I can't wait to see the young hunters face when we find his buck.
  We started at the shot site and in a short distance we start finding droplets of blood. we go approximately 100 to 200 yards further an hour on the edge of a corn field that didn't grow very well and we have blood confirmation that the buck entered the field. Still no arrow yet. At this point the buck had to cross the field or circle left back into the timber it was shot in or go right along a think dense bog.
At this point Sypris is circling looking for the scent and she keeps circling so I decide to do a complete rest from the beginning.
She makes it to last one in no time and begins to circle again!!
 so at this point I decided I needed to intervene to help her. I first go to the right to check out the bog and spent time checking runs. We find nothing
Go back to last blood and start looking in the corn field however the the ground is dry and it just like pavement so we couldn't see any tracks in the corn rows are so wide that there was no blood transfer on to the stalks. we go about halfway out into the field and the dog has not found everything. so we go back to last blood and check left to see if the buck Circled back into the woods. Still nothing!!
At this point she is getting hot and when a dog starts to paint they lose 40% of their scent receptors so now it's not looking good. We take a break and decide to cross the cornfield because if the deer is in the corn we would most likely be able to see him. That how bad the corn was. We get across and I have Sypris start checking all the runs and she actually hits on one and follows it pretty far and I'm looking for blood and don't find any!! So at this point I say I'm sorry we failed you he is dead somewhere!! At some point during the deer season a property owner on the far east side of the area finds the buck and noticed a youth arrow in the buck and through conversation with neighbors or hunters they were able to track down Michael and Caleb to let them know they found his buck. Spoiled and bad however closure was needed by all!!
Tracking during the middle of the day scent lifts straight off the ground making tracking difficult for a dog. Heat and sun evaporated the scent that was out in the field resulting in Sypris struggling. If we would have ran this track first thing in the morning it's possible we would have had better results. Sypris fatigue from the 1 lung rodeo and hot conditions we failed at our job. It's heartbreaking for myself and for my client and it still bothers me today!!
 This is why I always say we are not the best we simply try our best!! To many factors comes into play when using a dog to track especially dogs that are attached to a leash.
Not all endings are happy but we always end with the truth.
Thanks again for following our journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment