Sunday, August 12, 2018

Devil's lake.

Devils lake Lenawee Co.
Eric had several encounters with this mature 9point. During his evening hunt the buck slipped in and caught him by surprise. The buck was broadside so Eric got his crossbow up and pulled the trigger. Buck turned and did two large bounds and then walked away. Did I miss?
  Eric gets down at dark and looks for blood and his bolt and can't find either. After doing several circles he finds a tuff of hair!
 Decides to wait till morning before tracking and searching for a deer tracking dog. Back in 2008 only a few guys were tracking and thankfully Eric knew someone that used scout and my number was given out.  Word of mouth has always been the #1 way hunters find me.
 I told Eric I had to work and you need to go look anyways before I make the long drive to Addison Mi.
   He calls me at 11 am and says I found 2 tiny drops of blood and can't find anything else. I make it down there about an hour before dark and start scout at the shot site. He leads into the big timber and quickly gets distracted by 4 doe as he chased after them. So I do a complete restart because he is distracted and we haven't found any blood.
So on our second attempt he goes the same path and advanced further and that's when a raccoon disrupts his focus so it's time for the 3rd restart. Still no new blood.
The third time he goes the same way again and I tell Eric I have no idea if he knows who you deer is and if he is correct!! Let's just keep following him until we decide to stop. 24 hours has passed since the buck was shot. No bolt,no blood and I have no idea what I'm doing.
Scout leads us through the woods and hits a field edge and then turns back into the woods and goes back across and this section of the woods is flooded so he has to swim shorts distances to hit dry land. We have gone probably 700 yards and now it's getting dark. Scout turns north as he went east then turned west and now north!! Nothing seems to be going our way and then we hit the property line. Eric says I don't know who owns it so now what? I say well we don't have any evidence that scout is correct so it's best we stop.
Then I spot a bow hunter up in a tree 50 yards away and we ruined his hunt so Eric goes and talks with him. While talking I hear the hunter say that's a tracking dog while scuffing. Eric said yes however not sure if he is going to find my buck. They discussed details about the big 9 and this hunter has been hunting him as well.
I pick scout up because we're done and he is squirming like a kid in a candy store. So I put him down and the hunter said y'all can keep going until the woods ends then you have to stop. So I follow scout while they BS together and come to the end. Tall grass field and raspberry patch separates the woods and the tall grass and I don't see anything. I pick scout up again and he starts squirming again so I set him down. He goes into the raspberry patch and that's when I see the white antlers!!! I yelled scout found your F@#$&€¥ buck!!!
What a epic track. Buck was shot hard Q-2 and the bolt was still in him preventing the blood from coming out. The bolt also prevented from laying down. He traveled just over 1 mile in total.
Scout has been retired for several years and this track is when I started believing in the words I preach. Trust your dog!!
#legendarydeertrackinghounds

No comments:

Post a Comment