Thursday, January 23, 2020

Blood tracking dogs in Ohio

This moment... Man what an exciting night!!
Michael Back knew his buck was dead!
The blood trail for the first 150 yards was one you figured the big ol buck was for sure dead in his first bed.
  Well at the point Mike was looking for the buck up ahead to be laying dead is when he jumped him. He knew he made the mistake of tracking to soon, however the blood trail was saying dead deer within in minutes. Big storm just a few hours away he knew the only chance to follow the blood trail was to track 2 hours after the shot. Now the buck ran away and the storm getting ready to let loose. It rained for HOURS!!  The following morning it was grid search time and with several guys their luck ran out and failed to find him. Depressed and pissed for making a novice mistake by tracking to soon it was time to find help. Through mutual friends Brad Blain contacted me seeking advice or help. I was stuck at work so I tried to find help without any luck. At 2 pm my boss said I could leave so I called Brad back and made arrangements to made the trip to Ohio.  My family got my bags packed to help shave off time because at this point time isn't on our side. When I arrived at camp it was 30 hours after the buck was shot. Heavy frost was forming and I'm really doubting that Sypris was going to perform well. While walking to the shot site I told Mike we may have to wait till morning for the frost to melt if she is unsuccessful tonight. Well I started Sypris at the shot site and she took off. At the age of 10 she normally tracks very slow and at this moment she was like a young hound full of piss and vinegar and covering ground. We went down and up a few decent hills in a flash and then she stops to smell something and that's when she indicated blood. Oh boy am I ever fired up!! I knew it was only a matter of time!! She resumes and takes us to a field edge and that's when shit went south. She is struggling. Doing circles and circles I knew exactly what was happening. THE FROST WAS FUCKING US!!
I look at my dogtra Pathfinder app and I said the buck only has a few options so I took sypris across the big field to an area I thought he would go to die. Once across she started checking deer runs until she found the one she liked and 75 yards later we were all 🙏🙏 high-fiving.
If your looking for a great place in Ohio to hunt give Mike or Brad a call. Legend Valley Outfitters
Sypris still amazes me and I'm one lucky guy to have her.
Total distance .80 of a mile and 52 minutes.

Call Rob Miller for tracking 810-240-4891

No comments:

Post a Comment